Our mission is to help sustain and support The Temple, Congregation B’nai Jehudah. We do this by funding a variety of programs at B’nai Jehudah, as well as through volunteerism and an ongoing dedication to the congregation. Sisterhood participates on the B’nai Jehudah Board of Trustees, and regularly engages with B’nai Jehudah leadership.
One of our primary fundraisers is the Sisterhood-sponsored Judaica Shop, which – in addition to our beautiful new physical shop – is now available online. Did you know all Sisterhood members get a discount in the Judaica Shop?
Bisseleh Nosh, a gathering prior to each Friday night service, is sponsored by Sisterhood funding.
Congregational life cycle events are enhanced with Judaic gifts from Sisterhood:
- Consecration class (Tzedakah boxes)
- 4th grade Hebrew School students (Prayer books)
- B’nai Mitzvah students (candlesticks)
- Confirmation class (Bibles)
- Preschool & Religious School during Chanukah (Gelt, dreidels, candles)
Sisterhood actively participates in holiday observances and community/congregational events by providing:
- High Holiday apples & honey for congregation during Rosh Hashanah
- Opportunities to purchase challah during High Holidays
- Ice cream at the Simchat Torah/Consecration reception
- “Guess how many Chanukah candles are in the jar?” contest and prize at 180 Menorahs
- Hamentashen available for sale during Purim
- Mitzvah Day funding and volunteers
- Chanukah Happenings and the Purim Carnival, together with Brotherhood
- Jewish Summer Camp sponsorship
We also have fun!
- Girls’ Night Out
- Museum tours
- Wine tasting and vineyard visits
- Jewish movies and shows
- Social action and awareness programs and events
Sisterhood quickly adapted during the Covid pandemic, to ensure we stayed connected to our members and the B’nai Jehudah community. We delivered Jewish goodies to congregants with our Simcha Snack program, transitioned our GNO activities to Zoom events, and partnered with Brotherhood and B’nai Jehudah leadership to creatively ensure continuity for our congregation: apples & honey, challah and latkes were made available during the holidays to help keep members connected to their Jewish life.
So, why join us in Sisterhood?
Our members answer:
- I love B’nai Jehudah and want to use my talents to help
- Sisterhood was part of my childhood, my family members were active in Sisterhood
- I like to be involved, and want to give back to our community
- I love being involved and making new friends
- It feels great to know people when I go to services and B’nai Jehudah events
- The camaraderie and fellowship with other Jewish women
- I want to contribute to the direction, viability and success of Sisterhood
- I want to make sure Sisterhood, which has been around for over 100 years at B’nai Jehudah, continues!
- Sisterhood is diverse and welcoming, and I want to help sustain it
- To make a difference in our congregation and our community